Skip to main content

September 2020



Update October 2nd

September 2020

At 10.30 am on the 22nd September we will be leaving Balkerne Gate, Colchester to walk to the Norfolk coast, some 90 miles. The High Steward of Colchester, Sir Bob Russell will be walking with us to the Suffolk border.
 
The most important thing about the event is that I will be raising much needed funds to help restore the roof of St Andrew's Church, Little Massingham, Norfolk. If you can help by donating, that would be wonderful. All details are shown below.

It is almost a year since I first had the idea to undertake this charity walk. Originally this should have taken place in April, but because of Covid-19 it was put on hold. At long last I will be able to set off with my walking companion Rina Adams. 


If you would like to join us as we walk sections of this route or if you need to contact me about anything else to do with the walk, please see the blogger contact link - top right of page.

Once we begin our journey I will be adding photos taken along the route.

September 22nd
Day 1: A very hot day for the start of our walk! We walked with a few people as far as Nayland. Below, leaving Colchester this morning. Left to right, Rina, me and the High Steward of Colchester, Sir Bob Russell.

The rest of our companions came as far as Nayland. Rina and I spent the rest of the day heading for Polstead Heath - lots of hills along the way.
At the end of day one at Polstead Heath.

September 23rd
Day 2: Today’s walk took us from Polstead Heath to Cook’s Green, which was under 11 miles. Before we reached Kersey Tey the first of 3 blisters appeared. My foot was so hot the plaster didn’t stay on! 

September 24th
Day 3: Made it to Poy Street Green in the morning.
Crossing over A14 after lunch in Woolpit.

This afternoon I was interviewed over the phone by a reporter from the East Anglian Daily Times, at the time I was crossing a ploughed field and heading to Norton. We made it to Stowlangtoft late this afternoon just as it started to rain! Leaving Stowlangtoft tomorrow morning to walk towards Knettishall Heath.

September 25th
Just finished day 4: Quite a day! We arrived - a little late - at Stowlangtoft at around 10.45 am near the church. Waterproofs at the ready as it was raining and very windy.
We walked to Bardwell in the rain and wind - approximately 4 miles - really hard going. Cold wind and stinging rain. On the way we met up with a Peddars Way enthusiast who walked with us to Bardwell.
A hot drink and lunch and reluctantly we set off again... struggled through biting wind and rain for the next 4.5 miles. Finally reaching Knettishall Heath. 
Tomorrow we cross into Norfolk!
September 26th
Day 5: We knew it was to be over 13 miles today, and it certainly was, as we accidentally had a detour. My Fitbit told me all sorts of fibs that we had done 17 miles. It certainly felt like it but I know it wasn’t. More wind and rain today! My damaged ankle and the blisters made it slow walking. We had a few extra people joining us along the route, which was very enjoyable. Crossing the A11 was terrifying, one car had the audacity to pip Rina.
Photo of Rina and me after we crossed the A11.
Later we crossed a railway line! 

The photo above was taken near to the end of the day, I was exhausted and in so much pain. Another 13 plus miles tomorrow!

September 27th
Day 6: This morning I had an early start. BBC Radio Suffolk interviewed me just after 6.40 am, and then BBC Norfolk phoned to catch up with where we are at the moment and what had been happening. 

Below, arriving in Castle Acre! 


Four other people joined us to accompanied us all the way to Castle Acre. We encountered some wind and rain. Determination kept me going all the way!

September 28th
Day 7: A perfect day for walking! We left Castle Acre early making good progress.

Arrived at St Andrew’s Church by 12.30 am. Lovely to have a small group of parishioners to welcome us.
Rina and I received a wonderful blessing from the Bishop of Lynn.
We then set off to walk the final stretch to Anmer Minque.
Last day tomorrow!

September 29th
Day 8: Final day. Leaving Anmer Minque at 9.00 am, earlier than planned as we want to make it to Holme before 4.30 pm. I’m walking much slower due to the blisters on my feet - every step is so painful.
Dreadful weather today, rain, rain and more rain! 
No rain as we crossed the finish line.


I’m keeping my JustGiving.com page open for a few more months.  See details below. I’m now taking some much needed rest, but will update this page with news and how the fundraising is going. Possibly planning something for YouTube! 

If you’d like to donate to the new Friends of St Andrew’s Church Little Massingham charity see link below.
FOSALM.org

If you enjoyed this page you might like to read the updated October page: October Update

If you would like to see our route, click on the image below to enlarge it. 








Comments

Popular Posts

My Research - Locating Peddar's Way

Two updates, one on 29th April - the location of the  village of Chelsworth. The other on 24th April, writings and research by Rev.  H. Copinger Hill. If you have stumbled across this research and wondered how and why it came about, I thought I should offer an explanation. From an early age  I’ve been keen to follow up a story handed down through some four generations of my family, that Peddars Way went all the way from Colchester to the Norfolk coast. Having been born and raised in a West Norfolk village where Peddars Way runs, this family story really resonated with me. On 22nd September 2020 I’ll be leaving Colchester on a charity walk, raising funds for Little Massingham Church. More details at the foot of this page. Anyone walking north from Colchester would encounter one major problem, water! The more maps I studied, the more areas of water I saw! The River Stour and Box and other rivulets dominate the border area between north Essex and Suffolk, this would definitely influ

My Journey - from 3000 steps a day to a 252,418 step trek across three counties

What’s this all about you may ask yourself? As a child, living in Norfolk I frequently walked sections of the Peddars Way, a famous Roman or perhaps pre-Roman road which runs from Holme-next-the-Sea, through my childhood home village of Little Massingham and onto Knettishall Heath, Suffolk. However, I had always been told it actually went all the way to Colchester in Essex. In my youth I quite often walked it, but there were occasions when it was because I was in some sort of trouble with my parents. I would usually be found escaping - with my dog and small suitcase - along this route, and when I was challenged, I’d climb into my father's car and be driven home. I think there was a strong element of Dick Whittington about me as I knew that if I walked for long enough, I would get to London. Seventy years on and having moved to Colchester, I was still fixated by this road and realised time was running out if I wanted to finally try to prove that the Peddars Way really did go all the

March 2020

Only a few weeks until the start of the trek from Colchester to Holme, Norfolk. Yesterday we completed our Tuesday walk. Disappointed that it was only 8 miles it felt like much more. I was so tired after I arrived home I had to have a long snooze! The plus side is I'm drinking more water! WEDNESDAY 4th March Fitted in another training walk today. Walked 6 or so miles. Rina was fascinated by the size of this oak tree. It was only after 18 months of losing weight, that I thought I might be able to do this walk. It will be easier if I can lose more weight before 27th April... and the beginning of our trek north. Yesterday I received an award from my Slimming World group for being their ‘Greatest Loser 2020’! This week I’m finding I’m in a lot of pain, I need to investigate how I can manage it better. I think it’s sciatica in my hips and legs! I need to find some treatment soon... although I do find it does help a bit when I’m exercising at the gym. I’ve also been writing

February 2020

11th February Update Over the last two weeks we have been walking closer to home because it's been so wet and muddy under foot. Today we walked around the outskirts of the town. Found it rather annoying that cycle routes give estimated distances but nothing for walkers! Walked a fraction under 6 miles today, very windy, needed my hat. Saturday 15th February Update This week I’ve tried to get in more walking and exercise at the gym. This morning went out before Storm Dennis arrived as I’d heard that one of the old military gates along Butt Road, Colchester had be restored. Over several years I’ve been campaigning to see these gates refurbished - lovely to see this one in place! Tuesday 18th February Our weekly walk really went into overdrive because we walked just over 9 miles today! No wonder several parts of my body were hurting. Muscles and hips aching and I thought I’d not make it home!  This morning in Head Street we had a little fun when a man saw us using o

Peddars Way Blog

Hi, I thought I’d tell you why I’m writing this blog. Well it’s because I’m hoping to raise £5000 or more to help St Andrew's Church in Little Massingham, Norfolk.  All the money I raise will go towards restoring the church roof after lead was stolen. You may ask when and why am I doing it... Next Spring I'll be walking from Colchester, Essex to the North Norfolk coast. I'll be trying to trace the ancient Roman route from Colchester and join the known Peddars Way in Suffolk.  From an early age I’ve been keen to follow up a story handed down through some four generations of my family, that Peddars Way went all the way from the Norfolk coast to Colchester. Having been born and raised in a West Norfolk village where Peddars Way runs, this family story really resonated with me. At long last I have a very good reason for trying to solve this mystery. When I leave Colchester I will try to follow a possible Roman route joining the known Peddars Way. Whilst walking I hop

July 2020

Updated - 23rd  July 9th July When I met up with Rina yesterday we decided to walk a 'dry route', owing to the rain we have had in the last few days. I had planned to use the map device on my Fitbit and post it to this blog, at the time I was rather puzzled why it wouldn't work. Later I remembered my phone can't receive a signal when I'm in Layer. Walked down to just beyond the reservoir. Not may birds about, but spotted a couple of Grebe.  On our return we crossed the road and walked up to a farm and then along through wheat and barley fields. Last time I was there these fields were still green. Walked back towards the church and village on a slightly muddy route, it was quite a job to remove all the mud from our shoes. We discussed when we might be able to start our walk to Norfolk. Hope it will be September. Total mileage, a fraction over 6 miles. 11th July Joined my family bubble today for a walk at Anglesey Abbey.  Lov ely 3 mile walk in the sunshine. I notice

June 2020

Updated 28th June 2nd June Having arranged to walk with Rina in Layer de la Haye the following day, this sparked a chain of events. I decided I couldn’t leave it any longer before I filled up my car with petrol. Normally buying petrol is no big deal, but as this was the first time I'd had to buy any since the 'lockdown', I decided I could no longer put off making a journey to the petrol pumps... something I wasn’t looking forward to! I had already decided that I would try to pay at the pump, even though I’d never done it before. I thought, it couldn’t be that difficult. When I arrived at the petrol station, I was confronted by signage asking me to use the ‘pay at pump’ facility rather than go into the shop. I donned my mask and my rather conspicuous blue gloves and got out of the car. At first it was difficult to read the instructions because the mask was making my glasses steam up! Eventually I managed to scan my loyalty card, having first tried it one way and t

April 2020

Thursday 2nd April I’m still exercising on Abbey Field.  I’m not trekking the longish distances that I was, but at least I’m walking!  In the last few days I’ve been writing up much of the research I’ve undertaken, looking into the history, maps and the possible routes of Peddars Way. Friday 3rd We were all social distancing on Abbey Field today! I think my new little friends managed a few more steps than me! Wednesday 8th April I’ve continued to exercise on Abbey Field, but didn’t get in too many steps because it was much warmer. Stopped to take this photo of blossom on one of the cherry trees. Tuesday 14th April Over Easter, some days I managed to get in more steps and a few more miles, but it meant having to leave the safety of Abbey Field! The bonus - I've found there are slightly less people exercising later in the day! Tuesday 21st April As the month draws on, I’m finding it more and more difficult to motivate myself and walk longer dista