Skip to main content

My Research - Locating Peddar's Way

Two updates, one on 29th April - the location of the village of Chelsworth.

The other on 24th April, writings and research by Rev. H. Copinger Hill.

If you have stumbled across this research and wondered how and why it came about, I thought I should offer an explanation. From an early age I’ve been keen to follow up a story handed down through some four generations of my family, that Peddars Way went all the way from Colchester to the Norfolk coast. Having been born and raised in a West Norfolk village where Peddars Way runs, this family story really resonated with me. On 22nd September 2020 I’ll be leaving Colchester on a charity walk, raising funds for Little Massingham Church. More details at the foot of this page.

Anyone walking north from Colchester would encounter one major problem, water! The more maps I studied, the more areas of water I saw! The River Stour and Box and other rivulets dominate the border area between north Essex and Suffolk, this would definitely influence my planning and the tracing of Peddars Way.

A friend suggested the River Stour might have been tidal and navigable further inland during the Roman and pre-Roman period. I thought this idea was definitely worth exploring, so I wrote to the River Stour Trust.

My contact there confirmed the Stour was tidal from just up river of Manningtree and suggested, given the glacial formation of the estuary, it might be that the river was tidal during the Roman period too. And the first crossing point would be some distance inland.

I also contacted various knowledgeable people here in Colchester, asking if they had come across ancient roads relating to the Peddars Way route - Colchester to the Norfolk coast - they hadn’t. One mentioned the route from Colchester to Stratford St Mary, which then continued on to Venta Icinorum, known by the Romans as ‘the market of the Iceni'. Venta Icinorum, modern day, Caster St Edmund, Norfolk.

I wasn’t particularly successful when I researched the history of ‘Pedders Cross’, Colchester. A slightly different spelling, to the one used for Peddars Way. Pedders Cross is marked by a plaque at the crossroads of Shrub End Road, Straight Road and Gosbecks Road. Interestingly, it is very close to the Gosbecks Iron Age and Romano - British site. There is a pathway running north, opposite the Gosbecks site, next to Brickwall Farm. This path joins Gryme’s Dyke, part of the ancient defences of Colchester.

Jo Edwards, researched the history of Pedders Cross for the Colchester Civic Society - Plaque Trails. She found that it was one of the three known mediaeval crosses in the ancient large parish of Lexden. It was a marker or boundary cross or could have been on a pilgrim route to Walsingham.

As my research and map scrutiny continued, I made some startling discoveries. Looking closer at an OS map I was thrilled to see ‘Peddars Way’ showing slightly north of Stanton Chare, Suffolk. This was several miles south of Knettishall Heath where the route officially stops.

Further south, between Woolpit and Hitcham there are some very straight sections of roads and paths; one of which is marked ‘Roman’!

I was lent a copy of Roman Colchester by M R Hull. Extract below.
Colchester to the north by Nayland. Whether there was a Roman Rye Gate is unknown, though there is now a ford opposite it’s possible site. There are, however, no records of a road-metalling found north or south of it. The NE. Postern gate was not in use for much of the Roman period, but gravelling resembling road-metal was seen in May 1930, 30 yards east of the park boundary and 60 yards north of the gate. Its surface was much broken by pits containing human bones, which have been ascribed (we think without reason) to the siege of 1648. P. G. Laver noted road-metal, which he took to indicate a ford, in the banks of the Colne at a point almost in line...
Laver explored other routes north, including one towards Mile End and Horkesley and Horseley Heath where there is a Roman agger, now known as Horkesley Causeway and runs in a straight line through the parish of Great Horkesley to Nayland.

Late last month the following information was sent to me by another friend. She had come across a page in a book she had bought locally.  The Face of Britain: East Anglia – A Survey of England's Eastern Counties 1947 -8 by Doreen Wallace   BT Batsford 3rd. Ed.
Castle Acre is situated on the practically straight line of the Peddar's Way, a road much older than Roman roads. This track, quite plainly to be seen in many parts of the Breckland where no plough has ever broken it up, was supposed to run from the coast at a point a little north of Hunstanton, right down to Colchester. Much of it is lost, in the cultivated land. The counties are full of green lanes, many of which lead to nowhere in particular: If they are on the straight line, the chances are that they are bits of Peddar's Way....
...Seeing that we know Peddar's Way to be Pre-Roman, and  Peddar's Way is as straight as man could make it, why should we suppose that the Romans alone had the notion of making straight roads? The Via Devana and the Ermine Street, both of which are in evidence elsewhere in East Anglia, are generally called Roman roads, but the likelihood is that they were British, made use of  and made sound by the Romans....
Quite early on in my research I found the following; taken from the Suffolk Archives – Parish of Ixworth.
Communications: Roads: Formerly situated at junction of Peddars Way (Colchester–North Norfolk coast) and Roman Road (Bildeston–Holme-next-the-Sea). Later situated on Bury St Edmunds – Norwich Turnpike Road. Tollgate situated near to bridge 17/18th cent. Situated at junction of A143 and A1088 Bury St Edmunds–Norwich and Ipswich–Thetford roads 20th cent. Roads also to Stowlangtoft, Ixworth Thorpe and Honington, Stanton, Bardwell, Walsham le Willows and Pakenham...
I then came across ROMAN ROADS IN BRITAIN by the late Thomas Codrington. 
...Peddars Way is easily followed from the Norfolk coast near Hunstanton for 48 miles pointing to Colchester, and more doubtfully for another 14 miles in the same direction, and then there is little trace for the remaining 17 miles to Colchester....
...Beyond Nayland there was perhaps a road communicating with Peddars Way through Woolpit, but no traces of it appear for 13 miles, beyond which to the north of Hitcham there are indications of a road due north...
…Peddars Way. — The indications of a Roman road from the direction of Colchester towards Woolpit have been referred to as appearing on the north of Hitcham; and it has been mentioned that of a supposed road from Stratford St. Mary by Hadleigh to Woolpit there is little evidence until the same indications of a Roman road are reached. On the north of Hitcham, about 16 miles from Colchester, the present road turns towards Stowmarket, and Hitcham Street continues on, and then a lane pointing due north is followed for three-quarters of a mile by a parish boundary, which runs on across country for a mile to a highway, and follows it for a mile to Pay Street Green. At Clopton Green, a mile and a quarter further north, a lane takes up the same one for a mile, to within a mile of Woolpit, which has been supposed to be the site of a Roman station. About four miles north of Woolpit in the same direction is Stowlangoft, where Roman remains have been found, and three miles further is Stanton, on the west of which the most southerly trace of Peddars Way is shown on the old Ordnance map. This remarkable road can be traced hence for 45 miles to the north coast of Norfolk. It has been called British, but it has all the characteristics of Roman laying out, and is indeed the best preserved Roman road in East Anglia. The old Ordnance map shows Peddars Way crossing the road from Honington to Barningham, one mile west of the latter place, and passing by Street Farm on the west of Coney Weston to the Little Ouse. It was formerly plain on Barningham Common, and on Knittishall Common to the south of the river. A parish boundary continues in the same straight line for three miles to Brettenham Heath, crossing the river Thet, four miles east of Thetford....
...Peddars Way has been said to pass through neither town nor village, and it is true that from Ringstead southwards as far as it can be traced, about 45 miles. Castle Acre is the only village upon it, and those near it are but small. In this respect it resembles the Foss Way...
I thought one of the most telling sentences appears in the paragraph directly above.
...Peddars Way has been said to pass through neither town nor village,...
This is certainly the case where it passes through Great and Little Massingham. At Little Massingham, in places it is almost on the parish boundary. It passes a field known as 'Church Fallow', where until recent years there were visible signs of the original church, long abandoned, and before the present one was built.

The Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History have a very interesting pdf which they have reproduced. It was written by the The Rev H Copinger Hill. Volume XVIII Part 3 (1924) this research includes his maps. He goes into a great deal of detail about Peddars Way or as he refers to it, 'Peddar Way'.

Chelsworth is one of the villages along the route we will be walking through. I was particularly intrigued to read the following on the village website because it mentions Peddars Way.
It is considered very likely that the site dates back to Roman times. The village is thought to have developed next to a Roman Road (close to Peddars Way, catalogue as Route 33a) which connected the Roman road system to the highest navigable point on the River Brett. Archaeological evidence for Roman occupation has been found nearby.
Having gathered so much research, at last I had the beginnings of a plan, and how I would plot the course. My journey will take me in a northerly direction, walking towards Mile End Road and on through Great Horkesley to Nayland. I'd decided not to take the road to Stratford St Mary as I needed a safer walking route, and I wasn't convinced that this would be the road the Romans would have taken if they were travelling north towards west Norfolk. I needed to find the straightest and most direct way from Colchester, and decided the Romans would have wanted to take the shortest and most direct route to and from the town.

For the next few months I went into Roman mode! I pored over yet more maps, so much so - when I watched TV -  if spotted a landscape shot I found myself scanning the horizon for straight roads! It didn't stop there, when out walking I found I was scrutinising every space, park and field! Some of the research had been immensely helpful, it had given me names of places where other researches thought the road had gone. Stowlangtoft, Woolpit, Poy Street Green, Hitcham, Bildeston, etc. And from my own observations, Peddars Way didn't have to go into the heart of the village, it just needed to be within the parish boundaries.

With this in mind, I was able to move forward and plan my journey. Over time some of the old byways have vanished, and even now – having walked a short part of the route – farmers have ploughed up some of the footpaths. On one section I was only able to walk a slightly tenuous trail across fields using satellite navigation! 

After months of searching, I'm fairly confident that as I walk north, many sections of the Suffolk route and obviously the known Norfolk sections, will be Peddars Way!

NB: To glean more information, I also checked ancient maps, two printed publications by Larks Press: 'Hodskinson's Map of Suffolk in 1783 and Faden's Map of Norfolk: First printed in 1797. Plus other online maps, British History online, numerous books, and websites. 
Larks Press

Research by Rosemary Jewers © 2020



If you’d like to donate, this is the link to my Just Giving page: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rosemary-peddars-walk
For cash and cheques:
Lings Country Goods, have kindly offered to accept the cash and cheque donations. Cheques can be made payable to Rosemary Jewers.

Lings Country Goods,
Lynn Lane,
Gt Massingham,
King’s Lynn PE32 2HJ

My walking companion, Rina and I welcome all who would like to join us walking sections of this route. The image below gives contact details, dates and times of where we will be and when we start each day. Click on the image below to enlarge it.

Comments

Popular Posts

September 2020

Link to my research page Update October 2nd September 2020 At 10.30 am on the 22nd September we will be leaving Balkerne Gate, Colchester to walk to the Norfolk coast, some 90 miles. The High Steward of Colchester, Sir Bob Russell will be walking with us to the Suffolk border.   The most important thing about the event is that I will be raising much needed funds to help restore the roof of St Andrew's Church, Little Massingham, Norfolk. If you can help by donating, that would be wonderful. All details are shown below. It is almost a year since I first had the idea to undertake this charity walk. Originally this should have taken place in April, but because of Covid-19 it was put on hold. At long last I will be able to set off with my walking companion Rina Adams.  If you would like to join us as we walk sections of this route or if you need to contact me about anything else to do with the walk, please see the blogger contact link - top right of page. Once we begin our journey I wi

My Journey - from 3000 steps a day to a 252,418 step trek across three counties

What’s this all about you may ask yourself? As a child, living in Norfolk I frequently walked sections of the Peddars Way, a famous Roman or perhaps pre-Roman road which runs from Holme-next-the-Sea, through my childhood home village of Little Massingham and onto Knettishall Heath, Suffolk. However, I had always been told it actually went all the way to Colchester in Essex. In my youth I quite often walked it, but there were occasions when it was because I was in some sort of trouble with my parents. I would usually be found escaping - with my dog and small suitcase - along this route, and when I was challenged, I’d climb into my father's car and be driven home. I think there was a strong element of Dick Whittington about me as I knew that if I walked for long enough, I would get to London. Seventy years on and having moved to Colchester, I was still fixated by this road and realised time was running out if I wanted to finally try to prove that the Peddars Way really did go all the

March 2020

Only a few weeks until the start of the trek from Colchester to Holme, Norfolk. Yesterday we completed our Tuesday walk. Disappointed that it was only 8 miles it felt like much more. I was so tired after I arrived home I had to have a long snooze! The plus side is I'm drinking more water! WEDNESDAY 4th March Fitted in another training walk today. Walked 6 or so miles. Rina was fascinated by the size of this oak tree. It was only after 18 months of losing weight, that I thought I might be able to do this walk. It will be easier if I can lose more weight before 27th April... and the beginning of our trek north. Yesterday I received an award from my Slimming World group for being their ‘Greatest Loser 2020’! This week I’m finding I’m in a lot of pain, I need to investigate how I can manage it better. I think it’s sciatica in my hips and legs! I need to find some treatment soon... although I do find it does help a bit when I’m exercising at the gym. I’ve also been writing

February 2020

11th February Update Over the last two weeks we have been walking closer to home because it's been so wet and muddy under foot. Today we walked around the outskirts of the town. Found it rather annoying that cycle routes give estimated distances but nothing for walkers! Walked a fraction under 6 miles today, very windy, needed my hat. Saturday 15th February Update This week I’ve tried to get in more walking and exercise at the gym. This morning went out before Storm Dennis arrived as I’d heard that one of the old military gates along Butt Road, Colchester had be restored. Over several years I’ve been campaigning to see these gates refurbished - lovely to see this one in place! Tuesday 18th February Our weekly walk really went into overdrive because we walked just over 9 miles today! No wonder several parts of my body were hurting. Muscles and hips aching and I thought I’d not make it home!  This morning in Head Street we had a little fun when a man saw us using o

Peddars Way Blog

Hi, I thought I’d tell you why I’m writing this blog. Well it’s because I’m hoping to raise £5000 or more to help St Andrew's Church in Little Massingham, Norfolk.  All the money I raise will go towards restoring the church roof after lead was stolen. You may ask when and why am I doing it... Next Spring I'll be walking from Colchester, Essex to the North Norfolk coast. I'll be trying to trace the ancient Roman route from Colchester and join the known Peddars Way in Suffolk.  From an early age I’ve been keen to follow up a story handed down through some four generations of my family, that Peddars Way went all the way from the Norfolk coast to Colchester. Having been born and raised in a West Norfolk village where Peddars Way runs, this family story really resonated with me. At long last I have a very good reason for trying to solve this mystery. When I leave Colchester I will try to follow a possible Roman route joining the known Peddars Way. Whilst walking I hop

July 2020

Updated - 23rd  July 9th July When I met up with Rina yesterday we decided to walk a 'dry route', owing to the rain we have had in the last few days. I had planned to use the map device on my Fitbit and post it to this blog, at the time I was rather puzzled why it wouldn't work. Later I remembered my phone can't receive a signal when I'm in Layer. Walked down to just beyond the reservoir. Not may birds about, but spotted a couple of Grebe.  On our return we crossed the road and walked up to a farm and then along through wheat and barley fields. Last time I was there these fields were still green. Walked back towards the church and village on a slightly muddy route, it was quite a job to remove all the mud from our shoes. We discussed when we might be able to start our walk to Norfolk. Hope it will be September. Total mileage, a fraction over 6 miles. 11th July Joined my family bubble today for a walk at Anglesey Abbey.  Lov ely 3 mile walk in the sunshine. I notice

June 2020

Updated 28th June 2nd June Having arranged to walk with Rina in Layer de la Haye the following day, this sparked a chain of events. I decided I couldn’t leave it any longer before I filled up my car with petrol. Normally buying petrol is no big deal, but as this was the first time I'd had to buy any since the 'lockdown', I decided I could no longer put off making a journey to the petrol pumps... something I wasn’t looking forward to! I had already decided that I would try to pay at the pump, even though I’d never done it before. I thought, it couldn’t be that difficult. When I arrived at the petrol station, I was confronted by signage asking me to use the ‘pay at pump’ facility rather than go into the shop. I donned my mask and my rather conspicuous blue gloves and got out of the car. At first it was difficult to read the instructions because the mask was making my glasses steam up! Eventually I managed to scan my loyalty card, having first tried it one way and t

April 2020

Thursday 2nd April I’m still exercising on Abbey Field.  I’m not trekking the longish distances that I was, but at least I’m walking!  In the last few days I’ve been writing up much of the research I’ve undertaken, looking into the history, maps and the possible routes of Peddars Way. Friday 3rd We were all social distancing on Abbey Field today! I think my new little friends managed a few more steps than me! Wednesday 8th April I’ve continued to exercise on Abbey Field, but didn’t get in too many steps because it was much warmer. Stopped to take this photo of blossom on one of the cherry trees. Tuesday 14th April Over Easter, some days I managed to get in more steps and a few more miles, but it meant having to leave the safety of Abbey Field! The bonus - I've found there are slightly less people exercising later in the day! Tuesday 21st April As the month draws on, I’m finding it more and more difficult to motivate myself and walk longer dista