Skip to main content

June 2020


Updated 28th June

2nd June
Having arranged to walk with Rina in Layer de la Haye the following day, this sparked a chain of events. I decided I couldn’t leave it any longer before I filled up my car with petrol. Normally buying petrol is no big deal, but as this was the first time I'd had to buy any since the 'lockdown', I decided I could no longer put off making a journey to the petrol pumps... something I wasn’t looking forward to!

I had already decided that I would try to pay at the pump, even though I’d never done it before. I thought, it couldn’t be that difficult. When I arrived at the petrol station, I was confronted by signage asking me to use the ‘pay at pump’ facility rather than go into the shop. I donned my mask and my rather conspicuous blue gloves and got out of the car. At first it was difficult to read the instructions because the mask was making my glasses steam up!

Eventually I managed to scan my loyalty card, having first tried it one way and then the other and even upside down. The machine then asked me to put in my payment card. After two false starts I was asked to remove it and pick up the pump nozzle. So far so good I thought!

Having deposited the nozzle into the top of the fuel tank, I waited for the gauge to clear from the previous sale. Nothing happened. I waited, still nothing. I tried pushing every button, still nothing. I finally gave up and went into the shop. This entailed a difficult discussion through my mask. The advice I was given was that the wifi sometimes 'drops out' and I should move to a different pump. This I did, but I decided to give the ‘pay at pump’ a miss this time and made my transaction in the shop - a much calmer experience.

June 3rd
With a full tank of fuel I set off to meet up with Rina at 10.00 am. We thought we could have a slightly later start as it was supposed to be cooler. Not long after 10.30 am the overcast skies cleared and the sun shone through!
We stopped to take photos between a wheat and barley field, before the path drops down through a wooded area, allowing us some much needed shade.
Joining the main road we slowly climbed back towards Layer. Walked 4.5 or so miles today.

June 4th
I took an interesting walk this morning with a couple of friends. The idea was to walk to Shrub End Post Office, they would conduct their business and we would then walk home. While I waited outside, I thought, why not walk on to Brickwall Farm and then cut through the Westfields Estate and back along Straight Road. While on this extended journey, my companions noted the Westlands Country Park and we peeled off the path earlier than I’d planned. It turned out to be a much longer walk, because we couldn’t find our way out. Once we were out of the park and back on known ground, we took several more detours and a shortcut via Prettygate, before we eventually arrived back home. Our total mileage was a shade under 6 miles - my Fitbit was very happy! I dare not phone my walking companions just in case they are still snoozing!

Hopefully the month of June will be a good one for increasing the mileage while preparing to walk Peddars Way.

10th June
Over the past week I’ve been maintaining good mileage everyday. Saturday was the only day I didn’t ramp up the miles - we had very high winds and I didn’t fancy being blown away.

Also met Rina today for one of our weekly walks, shorter than usual. We really couldn’t complain about that the downpour of rain. So much so that we were very, very wet. Decided we must have leggings should we have wet weather when we eventually walk to Norfolk.

12th June
As we were expecting rain, today we decided to walk in the morning. Returned to visit some allotments that I last seen in the Spring. The peas - purple and green - were looking great! Runner beans, courgettes, beets, strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries and everything else looked wonderful.

Tomorrow will be the first ‘Family Bubble Day’! At long last I’ll be able to connect with some of my family. It’s been along time to have been on my own. Walking everyday has been wonderful and I truly believe it’s given me something to look forward to.

13th June
I met some of my family in Manningtree this morning, we had planned a walk to Dedham via Flatford Mill.
Had to photograph this famous view - see photo below.
We left Flatford to walk on to Dedham. Once there, I was treated to an ice cream!

By the time we arrived back in Manningtree we had walked 7.7 miles. A really lovely walk, I must do it again!

17th June
The first part of my Wednesday walk with Rina was in full sun, but later we were rewarded with much needed shade. 

We crossed the Roman River several times before arriving back in Layer de la Haye! Great walk, approximately 3.5 miles.

24th June.
I set off in my car to Layer de la Haye today as Rina had another walk lined up for us. We decided to start early as the forecast indicated another very hot day in the 30s. It was already hot when I arrived at Rina's house a few minutes after 9.00 am. I was looking forward to this walk as she had promised the route would have some shade.

We headed to the Fox pub and turned right at the crossroads walking quickly towards the hill leading back in the direction of Colchester. As we began to climb we took a right onto a footpath into the woods owned by the MOD.

We soon met an elderly lady with her very hot fluffy dog, apparently he had been enjoying himself routing out the camouflaged soldiers who were dotted about in the undergrowth. She told us the wood was full of them and her dog had found quite a few and half licked them to death! We didn't spot any soldiers as walked, they had either moved on or were hidden under the bracken watching our every move!

It wasn’t long before we emerged from the woods into scorching sunlight with a large mown field to cross. Leaving the military land to find more shade, we came across a pasture of sheep, who had very sensibly also found a shady spot under trees, and were nibbling the grass where they lay.

Our journey took us down to a lovely watermill clad in Essex weatherboards, here we took much needed gulps of our quite warm water.
Leaving the mill we took a path to the left, and it wasn’t long before we were back in another wood. We came across more sheep and four pigs who had found some mud to lie in, unfortunately for them the mud was fast turning to concrete. I stopped to listen to their squeals and grunts as I wiped the stream of perspiration which ran into my eyes.

With the woods behind us we resurfaced somewhere in ‘The Folly’ and we trudged along the road back to Rina’s house and a much needed glass of ice cold elderflower and soda!

On my way home I called in to see a friend – as we social distanced in her garden - she told me since Covid 19 she takes exception to being called elderly and vulnerable, she now wants to be referred to as venerable! I think she has a point!

28th June
A much cooler day to meet up and join my 'bubble' family group for a planned walk at Ickworth House, Suffolk. Our chosen longer route would take us via the park and on through the woods.
Shorty after setting off we found a couple of fallen oak trees where we could all sit, an ideal place to stop to eat our picnic - once finished, we continued on to complete the walk. Because of Covid 19, only the grounds at Ickworth House were open to the public.
Having pre-booked our entry, we had a lovely long time to roam the vast estate and enjoy our 4.5 mile hike.


If you’d like to donate, this is the link to my Just Giving page: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rosemary-peddars-walk
For cash and cheques:
Lings have kindly offered to accept the cash and cheque donations. Cheques can be made payable to Rosemary Jewers.

Lings Country Goods,
Lynn Lane,
Gt Massingham,
King’s Lynn PE32 2HJ

My walking companion, Rina and I welcome all who would like to join us walking sections of this route. The image below gives contact details, dates and times of where we will be and when we start each day. Click on the image below to enlarge it.

Comments

Popular Posts

My Research - Locating Peddar's Way

Two updates, one on 29th April - the location of the  village of Chelsworth. The other on 24th April, writings and research by Rev.  H. Copinger Hill. If you have stumbled across this research and wondered how and why it came about, I thought I should offer an explanation. From an early age  I’ve been keen to follow up a story handed down through some four generations of my family, that Peddars Way went all the way from Colchester to the Norfolk coast. Having been born and raised in a West Norfolk village where Peddars Way runs, this family story really resonated with me. On 22nd September 2020 I’ll be leaving Colchester on a charity walk, raising funds for Little Massingham Church. More details at the foot of this page. Anyone walking north from Colchester would encounter one major problem, water! The more maps I studied, the more areas of water I saw! The River Stour and Box and other rivulets dominate the border area between north Essex and Suffolk, this would definitely influ

September 2020

Link to my research page Update October 2nd September 2020 At 10.30 am on the 22nd September we will be leaving Balkerne Gate, Colchester to walk to the Norfolk coast, some 90 miles. The High Steward of Colchester, Sir Bob Russell will be walking with us to the Suffolk border.   The most important thing about the event is that I will be raising much needed funds to help restore the roof of St Andrew's Church, Little Massingham, Norfolk. If you can help by donating, that would be wonderful. All details are shown below. It is almost a year since I first had the idea to undertake this charity walk. Originally this should have taken place in April, but because of Covid-19 it was put on hold. At long last I will be able to set off with my walking companion Rina Adams.  If you would like to join us as we walk sections of this route or if you need to contact me about anything else to do with the walk, please see the blogger contact link - top right of page. Once we begin our journey I wi

My Journey - from 3000 steps a day to a 252,418 step trek across three counties

What’s this all about you may ask yourself? As a child, living in Norfolk I frequently walked sections of the Peddars Way, a famous Roman or perhaps pre-Roman road which runs from Holme-next-the-Sea, through my childhood home village of Little Massingham and onto Knettishall Heath, Suffolk. However, I had always been told it actually went all the way to Colchester in Essex. In my youth I quite often walked it, but there were occasions when it was because I was in some sort of trouble with my parents. I would usually be found escaping - with my dog and small suitcase - along this route, and when I was challenged, I’d climb into my father's car and be driven home. I think there was a strong element of Dick Whittington about me as I knew that if I walked for long enough, I would get to London. Seventy years on and having moved to Colchester, I was still fixated by this road and realised time was running out if I wanted to finally try to prove that the Peddars Way really did go all the

March 2020

Only a few weeks until the start of the trek from Colchester to Holme, Norfolk. Yesterday we completed our Tuesday walk. Disappointed that it was only 8 miles it felt like much more. I was so tired after I arrived home I had to have a long snooze! The plus side is I'm drinking more water! WEDNESDAY 4th March Fitted in another training walk today. Walked 6 or so miles. Rina was fascinated by the size of this oak tree. It was only after 18 months of losing weight, that I thought I might be able to do this walk. It will be easier if I can lose more weight before 27th April... and the beginning of our trek north. Yesterday I received an award from my Slimming World group for being their ‘Greatest Loser 2020’! This week I’m finding I’m in a lot of pain, I need to investigate how I can manage it better. I think it’s sciatica in my hips and legs! I need to find some treatment soon... although I do find it does help a bit when I’m exercising at the gym. I’ve also been writing

February 2020

11th February Update Over the last two weeks we have been walking closer to home because it's been so wet and muddy under foot. Today we walked around the outskirts of the town. Found it rather annoying that cycle routes give estimated distances but nothing for walkers! Walked a fraction under 6 miles today, very windy, needed my hat. Saturday 15th February Update This week I’ve tried to get in more walking and exercise at the gym. This morning went out before Storm Dennis arrived as I’d heard that one of the old military gates along Butt Road, Colchester had be restored. Over several years I’ve been campaigning to see these gates refurbished - lovely to see this one in place! Tuesday 18th February Our weekly walk really went into overdrive because we walked just over 9 miles today! No wonder several parts of my body were hurting. Muscles and hips aching and I thought I’d not make it home!  This morning in Head Street we had a little fun when a man saw us using o

Peddars Way Blog

Hi, I thought I’d tell you why I’m writing this blog. Well it’s because I’m hoping to raise £5000 or more to help St Andrew's Church in Little Massingham, Norfolk.  All the money I raise will go towards restoring the church roof after lead was stolen. You may ask when and why am I doing it... Next Spring I'll be walking from Colchester, Essex to the North Norfolk coast. I'll be trying to trace the ancient Roman route from Colchester and join the known Peddars Way in Suffolk.  From an early age I’ve been keen to follow up a story handed down through some four generations of my family, that Peddars Way went all the way from the Norfolk coast to Colchester. Having been born and raised in a West Norfolk village where Peddars Way runs, this family story really resonated with me. At long last I have a very good reason for trying to solve this mystery. When I leave Colchester I will try to follow a possible Roman route joining the known Peddars Way. Whilst walking I hop

July 2020

Updated - 23rd  July 9th July When I met up with Rina yesterday we decided to walk a 'dry route', owing to the rain we have had in the last few days. I had planned to use the map device on my Fitbit and post it to this blog, at the time I was rather puzzled why it wouldn't work. Later I remembered my phone can't receive a signal when I'm in Layer. Walked down to just beyond the reservoir. Not may birds about, but spotted a couple of Grebe.  On our return we crossed the road and walked up to a farm and then along through wheat and barley fields. Last time I was there these fields were still green. Walked back towards the church and village on a slightly muddy route, it was quite a job to remove all the mud from our shoes. We discussed when we might be able to start our walk to Norfolk. Hope it will be September. Total mileage, a fraction over 6 miles. 11th July Joined my family bubble today for a walk at Anglesey Abbey.  Lov ely 3 mile walk in the sunshine. I notice

April 2020

Thursday 2nd April I’m still exercising on Abbey Field.  I’m not trekking the longish distances that I was, but at least I’m walking!  In the last few days I’ve been writing up much of the research I’ve undertaken, looking into the history, maps and the possible routes of Peddars Way. Friday 3rd We were all social distancing on Abbey Field today! I think my new little friends managed a few more steps than me! Wednesday 8th April I’ve continued to exercise on Abbey Field, but didn’t get in too many steps because it was much warmer. Stopped to take this photo of blossom on one of the cherry trees. Tuesday 14th April Over Easter, some days I managed to get in more steps and a few more miles, but it meant having to leave the safety of Abbey Field! The bonus - I've found there are slightly less people exercising later in the day! Tuesday 21st April As the month draws on, I’m finding it more and more difficult to motivate myself and walk longer dista